Thursday, July 18, 2013

Since 2007...


by: Silver





When I graduated from College being a call center agent was never the path that I imagined. I was still in the seminary when me and a classmate was able to get our hands on a classified ad from a Sunday newspaper. We saw the jobs that were available for us. Unfortunately for us no one was looking for a Philosophy graduate. I got scared considering that our graduation was a couple of months away from that time. It seemed that the only option after the College Seminary was Theology and later become a priest. It seemed but somehow I was able to manage to go out of this path.

I was able to land a job. My first was with a British owned company dealing with insurance liabilities of ship owners to its Filipino seafarers. The job was exciting. However, considering the salary and the average age of the veteran employees I got discouraged. I could not imagine myself stuck at the four walls of Pandiman and listen to seamen from all over the Philippines deal with their illnesses, injuries and sometimes death. It seemed all too boring for me with a low pay. I was ready to steam out of that company on my sixth month. I did and I am glad.


I dreamed big. I entered the call center industry. I was a customer service representative for Amazon.com. It was December. So the whole production floor was hyped up with an enormous volume of call that. Our fourteen days of training was cut to seven. We we're suppose to discuss how to resolve fradulent account on the eight day. And guess what, my first call was a customer who's account was tagged as fraud. So imagine me freaking out because I can't open the customer's account. Basically, I didn't know what to do or worst how to resolve her concern. But there's always that Sup call. I learned to love. Transfer the call and then everything is fine (for me at least).

2007 to 2013, the journey was long but looking at it I would gasp for air. In this span of time I lost two women. One, my mother the other my grandmother's sister who has always been very generous to me. I've been to six jobs. I met a lot of people and learned lessons in a very hard manner and sometimes painful.


I am now an Operations Manager of a call center. Finally, I was able to stay in a job. It was a step up that I dreamed of. I love leading a group of people, it's  challenging. A challenge that I did not back out. I'm here now. I will always be thankful to the owners of this company who trusted me and took care of me. This center has become my home (don't ask me why). On this six year period I lost two women and found one. Though she's far I can feel her presence with me. All the more reason for me to be thankful.


So what's the deal? Why am I writing? It has been six years of suffering and few mishaps. This year it's different. I definitely know that there will be problems but it's good to know that you have a fan out there who will always say "you can do it" and "I'm proud of you!"

What a year!

No comments:

Powered By Blogger