Friday, December 16, 2011

Call Center Agent visits NBI Cebu: Worst Experience!!!



by: Silver Cepeda

Last December 09, 2011 I was asked by the HR personnel of my company to submit my NBI clearance or I will not get my salary. Having exhausted all the excuses that I can remember, I complied. So I was scheduled to go there last December 13, 2011!


Before I start to write anything here. Let me tell to you what I did before I went to the subject of my exploration today. I was on a ten hour shift. Managing agents, being trained for a new account and listened to calls for Q.A. purposes. These events happened on that period. In addition, it was at night because I'm a supervisor in a call center. Here is the tale.

The place and the people. Immediately upon entering the red gates of N.B.I. Cebu - the one near Capitol, the long line would be apparent. It would diminish ones hope to finish the requirement at the soonest possible time. But trusting on my priority number which was one hundred eighty three I managed to convince myself to proceed. It was itself a miracle! A quick note about the people that I saw there. There are beautiful girls, not so beautiful, fresh grads, job seekers fulfilling requirements, people going abroad, foreigners, old people, vendors of many stuff, etc! It was a conglomeration. Amazing!

The timeline:

0920H - I entered the gates of NBI

0951H - I was waiting for step 2. I was falling in line. But more like waiting for the Police intern to call my number. Based on the form that I filled up, my number was 574. A great change! Since I was not doing anything I can't help but notice the man from whom I got the form. I call him man on stripes on step 1! He was sitting idly giving the Clearance Form which would sometimes drop because he was lazy! Am sorry but he looked like the perfect guy manifesting the word.

0955H - Since it seemed that I was going to wait forever, I continued to explore. Next guy was the man on Step 2! Based on what I saw his job was to sit down and check if the clearance was properly filled up! Later on, I got the name of the man. He is NBI personnel Ronulfo M. Caes. He suddenly grabbed a stick of cigarette, lit it and puff. I thought, Government establishments were a non-smoking area. He was outside but he was handling a very "important" transactions. I do smoke but this guy did not show discipline. Bad! he was in a very relax state of existence while the people paying for his salary is suffering. We can't even find a place or a chair to sit down because they are all used!

1000H - I needed a break. The last person that was allowed to sit down under the tent had a priority number 415. I was still far so I went to the canteen. It seemed that the place had a lot of customers because their food display was limited! Price was normal!

1015H - At my left side were two Koreans who were having a hard time time filling up the clearance form. Their driver was obviously having a hard time explaining. The woman who must have been fed up stood and went outside. Few seconds later he had a man wearing an NBI ID. He assisted them.I was not able to get his name unfortunately.

1027H - The NBI man, wearing the office's ID went filled up the Koreans' form. Very helpful! He had some discussions with the woman. Cash was given, if I am right it was 600php. That was what I saw in his hand! I can't say if it was given to him or what. What was clear though was that their application for the NBI clearance was expedited and was asked to wait on step 4 window. The NBI personnel went inside the office. The whole canteen was filled with wild eyes caught up in disgust. There was definitely a silent but felt booing  done! As far as I can count, there were at least eight people including me who saw it! I mean I can also pay. But I followed the correct process! But I am not claiming that he was bribed or what.

1120H- Had to go on Lunch! Never had breakfast so my stomach was on protest...

1201H - I entered the gates again! The place looked lighter. Obviously some applicants went on lunch.

1205H - Step 3 window closes! Talk about service. But I don't have choice. I have to stay and stand in line!

1215H - I noticed that the NBI staff processing on Step 4 continues on. They kept printing and calling applicant's name. Now this time with a twist. They played a graduation hymn. There was a sudden giggle around. It offered a relief.

1221H - I noticed people gathering up near the CR. Then I came to realize that they were police interns doing their On the Job Training. Note, they were standing next to the CR.

1235H - I was still standing on queue for step 3 window. Amazing!

1239H - I went to the CR. I counted 12 police interns doing nothing but standing there. Well, their bosses are on lunch so what can they do?

1248H - Step 3 window opens up! Finally... People stood up but I remained. The line curved twice - perfect S.

1306H - Done with Step 3 window. Immediately went to step 4 window line.I counted the people in line. I was approximately not less than the 200th person. Great!

1312H - Noticed that there are 6 police interns standing near the gate. They are apparently doing NOTHING! I saw that they are from Mater Dei College.

1326H - I entered the 2nd layer for the line heading step 4 window. Five more layers to go! The line is like the chicken's intestine. Very complicated!

1343H - I needed a smoke break. No movement yet!

1415H - My eyes in pain, knees shaking, back aching and body - very tired. I have to quit! This is too much. I have to retreat and continue this tomorrow!


The problem! The lines are too long and the wait time kills people. That is the problem. I know I am not the only person who had this experience. A lot complained. This was even brought up in the news. But is seems that there is no solution to the problem. Why? People who go to NBI have jobs. They or we cannot just waste out time there and wait. This is non sense. In a call center set up for inbound, if the queue is very long and the wait time for each call is long it means that the service level of the site is down or LOW! If NBI Cebu is a call center then that day or that time their service level sucked. In short, inefficient!

The solution. There are four windows in NBI Cebu. The first window (Step 3),  is okay because apparently that guy works fast. But an additional window for this would be wonderful. Similar case goes to the three windows for step 4. They need to add because this is the step that has a lot of people waiting. There is an influx of Police interns in NBI as I have narrated. They are doing nothing! Why can't they add computers and have a regular employee supervise the interns. The people in this place must think and think faster. I can't just accept this as a tax payer. 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Same here in Manila. NBI processing really sucks. Why don't they create an online application just like in applying for a passport wherein applicants don't have to go there to fall in line. Waste of time for Filipino people.

Unknown said...

thanks for reading the comment... keep on following...

Anonymous said...

NBI tacloban.. much better.. =)

Anonymous said...

NBI Tacloban.. much better..

Powered By Blogger