Tuesday, December 13, 2011

BPO Companies in the Philippines puts food on the Table


by: Silver Cepeda

The Philippines has been invaded! But before you react to anything, it is best to read the rest of this article. Wednesday, December 1 CNN showed and proclaimed that Philippines is the new call center KING. Are we? The article highlighted a call center wherein agents were taking calls. If my memory serves me right that was E-Business. It is one of the few call centers or should I say BPOs that invaded the country. So let me calm your mind. This is not a hostile invasion. This is the type that everyone loved.

There was a time wherein the employment situation of this country was about to hit the pavement. People decided that it was better to go abroad than be stuck here and rot. It was dark ages. There is a scene that I cannot forget at that time. I was with my family sending my dad to Saudi. He had to work there because in his own words, “there is no more money in the Philippines”. It was a painful departure. So painful that I was committed to make sure that I will not leave my own family for monetary purpose. It was a promise made at a young age. It got stuck and thus I never left the country.

Years after, a dad with a degree in Philosophy – this was where I stood after my graduation. It was tough as I can imagine. The future was blurring. Clearly no doors would open for someone whose degree does not have a concrete “belongingness”. However like a zap of miracle I found myself in a BPO company’s doorstep with a resume. I was there to apply and got hired at the same day. It was my first but definitely not my last. In there I found many people who were like me – lost. They did not know where to go. They only had one thing – English speaking skill. In this place we belonged. In this place we flourished and grow with our family.

BPO companies in the Philippines are such a growing trend. A growth that saves a country called the Philippines. They are like an energy source that rejuvenated the economy of this country stricken with crises. This year’s predicted revenue for the industry is at $14 Billion. And that is not in peso but in shining dollars. Economists would say that it is second to OFW’s generated revenue. Well, it is safe to say that they are the ones responsible for the food that my daughter eats and the high class milk that she drinks every night. Not only for mine, but also for the many sons and daughter whose parents would slip out in the darkness of the night to work. BPO, an acronym which my most precious girl in the world memorized when asked where his father works. I was able to make my promise stand – thanks to my American employer!

On Philippines being proclaimed as the new call center KING – it’s appropriate. It has been the lifeline of many people in this country. Thus, it has expanded. It has built an empire. It has been revered as such then. As I said, it is the only invasion that we have ever welcomed and loved!

7 comments:

ignorethesylph said...

i totally agree with u silv, this industry may have alleviated the brain drain situation these past years. friends of mine have also entered this industry and there is no denying that it definitely brings some good. kudos! :)

Unknown said...

thanks for reading..
-silver-

George O'Brien said...

Nice read Silver! I own a BPO company called e-Leverage. We are Head Quartered in Las Vegas, NV USA. Our call center is in Quezon City. It's people like you who make our company go! My partners and I have a BIG dream of one day building a foundation in the Philippines to GIVE BACK to to people who's backs have let so many companies thrive. We want to help as many Filipinos in need as we can. Hopefully, with God's favor and employee's such as you, we will be successful in our dream!
George O'Brien
e-Leverage

LanceM said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
LanceM said...

Great article Silver! Very well-written and to the point. I would like to be able to use and refer to your blog post in an article that I am writing on the benefit of Outsourcing to the Philippines - I'll provide proper credit obviously if given the permission to use it. The Filippino employees that I'm honored to work beside will be interested in reading your post as well. Great job!

Lance

Unknown said...

@ LanceM

Yes, you may! Thanks...

Unknown said...

With all due respect, I don't think this bill would pass. Americans are demanding less fees from their financial institutions and in their purchases, always looking for bargains and with it, comes customer service.

The economy in the USA hasn't fully recovered from the "great recession" and many people are still struggling. It will be hard for U.S. based companies to bring back jobs such as customer service into the USA and extend the higher cost of employing American employees to their customers, hence, the initial reason why majority of U.S. based companies resorted to outsourcing.

American consumers will not accept the extension of fees which Americans will end up paying.

Besides, over 40 years of outsourcing, most American companies will not spend the billions of dollars to bring back "low paying jobs" - according to U.S. workers and add insurance, worker's compensation, vacation, etc back into their payroll.

Rockaway BPO Global Business Solutions (Rockaway BPO) is based in California to bring solutions to companies based in Silicon Valley. We have locations all over the Philippines and planning to open more.

There's no comparison with the work ethic and quality of work most Filipinos bring to the table. They are extremely hard working, all of my agents are college educated & motivated.

Maraming salamat po.

Powered By Blogger